History of Sand Springs

The history of Sand Springs began in 1908 with the purchase
of 160 acres of land by Charles E. Page. Since the oil boom had
made him wealthy, he was looking for a suitable place to give
back some of the wealth and create a home for orphaned
children. Starting with only a tent, the facility would later grow
into the Sand Springs Home which is now a major contributor
to the city.
In 1911, Charles Page built the Sand Springs Park. This park
took center stage as it held an amusement park, swimming
beach, boathouse, bathhouse, diving, platform, and even a
small zoo. Page also built the Sand Springs Railway in the same
year. It quickly became the main connection to Tulsa with two
gasoline-engine rail cars. Electric cars soon replaced these rail
cars and ran until 1955. It was the last operating interburban in
the state.

The City of Sand Springs was formed west of the orphans
home by Page and was incorporated in 1912 with a
population of 400 citizens. At this time, Sand Springs oered
a trolley service. This service needed a place to turn, so the
Triangle was formed instead of the traditional town square. By 1918, the population had grown to 900, and Sand Springs
now supported two banks, a hotel, a local newspaper, and all
of the amenities equal to any city in the state. Some of these
were the Kerr Glass Manufacturing Company, Commander
Mills, Southwest Box Company, nad Sinclair Prairie
Reneries. The 1920’s were booming for Sand Springs as it was given
the title “City of Oppurtunities” by the Chamber of
Commerce. With many industries operating in Sand Springs,
it became a very modern city with electric street lights on the
main streets and most streets were graded, some even
paved. The dam was constructed across Shell Creek in 1920
to supply the city with water. In 1924, Charles Page wold his
farmland on the south side of the river to Sand Springs
Townsite Co. Harry Pratt later purchased most of this land.

The Keystone Expressway was built through downtown Sand
Springs in 1968. The Springs, which Sand Springs was named,
was lost with the construction of the expressway. All that is left
of the clear springs is the small fountain of water bubbling up
by the Katy Trail. The city ballooned in size with the annexation
of Prattville in 1965. The Keystone Dam was completed in the
1960’s and Keystone Lake began to ll in 1964.
With the closure of some major employers, Sand Springs has
begun a transformation from industry to retail, which is key for
the future of Sand Springs.